Below are recipes for our dinner last night – they’re not exact, I’ll bring the exact ones home when I come. But they’re close!
Nasi Goreng – Indonesian Fried Rice
* 3/4 pint basmati rice
* 1 1/2 pints boiling water
* 3 onions, chopped small
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 chicken stock cube
* 4 dried chilies, chopped (roughly one per person)
* 3-4 chicken breasts, diced
* 1/2 tablespoon coriander seed
* prawns or shrimp (according to how much you like them)
* butter or olive oil or other flavoured oil
* 2 eggs, omelette (optional)
* sliced cucumber (optional)
* tomato (optional)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil, or mixed butter and oil in a saucepan, add the rice and stir until all grains are coated and transparent.
2. Crumble the stock cube into the water, stir to dissolve it and add to the rice.
3. Bring to a vigorous boil.
4. Stir, cover with a lid; turn off the heat and leave to stand for 12 minutes, then drain, loosen with a fork and leave to cool.
5. Fry the onion, garlic and chillies until onions are softened and transparent, put aside.
6. Using a wok (ideally), heat a generous quantity of oil until it’s just beginning to smoke, swirl around the wok so the sides are coated.
7. Add coriander, meat and salt, fry for about five minutes turning regularly.
8. Add the onion mixture and mix well together over the heat until all are cooked.
9. Reduce the heat, add the rice and fry, turning continually for about five minutes, then add the prawns and allow to heat through.
10. Make an omelette and break it into the mixture before serving.
11. Serve with a side dish of tomatoes and cucumber.
12. Soy sauce adds to the flavour when served.
Ayam Goreng – Indonesian Fried Chicken
* 1 whole roasting chicken, cut into 8 pieces
* 1 stem of lemongrass, only take the white part, and crush it.
* 2 Bay Leaves
* 1 cup of water
* Oil for deep frying (Canola Oil)
* Marinate Sauce:
* 6 garlics
* 5 candle nuts
* 1 tsp coriander seeds
* 2 inches fresh turmeric (1/2 tsp turmeric powder)
* 3 inches galangal
* 2 inches ginger
* 1 tsp white pepper
1. In a food processor, mix marinate sauce ingredients until it becomes a paste.
2. Marinate the chicken pieces in the marinate sauce for about 1 hour or overnight.
3. In a pot, boil the chicken along with the marinate sauce at low heat. Add salt, lemon grass, bay leaves and water.
4. Keep the pot covered until water is absorbed.
5. Remove pot from stove and let it cool.
6. Heat enough cooking oil in a pan.
7. Deep fry the cooked chicken pieces until golden brown.
8. Remove chicken from oil.
9. Put chicken on paper towels to absorb oil.
10. Note: For a healthier option, broil chickens in a preheated 350F oven for 20 minutes or until chicken are golden brown