Lost Tulsa Restaurants – Help Needed

I need your help!

I am currently researching information for a book about Tulsa’s Lost Restaurants.  Although I can’t capture them all, my goal is to put something together that shows the history of the city through the diners & favorite hangouts that have come and gone.

I need YOU!  These places come alive with your stories, memories, and photographs.  Please e-mail me at losttulsarestaurants@cloudlesslens.com with any stories or photos that will help others step back in time. The photos can be interior or exterior, just as long as it’s yours.

Here is a list of the specific restaurants I already know I’d like to feature:

• Pennington’s Drive-In (4235 S. Peoria Ave.)
  • Metro Diner (3001 E 11th St)
  • Blue Dome Diner (313 E 2nd St)
  • Bishops (15 e 3rd st) (10th and Boston)
  • McCollums (5717 E 11th St)
  • Boots Drive-In (17th and Sheridan, east side of street)
  • Golden Drumstick (4903 E. 11th St.)
  • The Middle Path Café (formerly Golden Drumstick)
  • East Side Cafe (3021 E Admiral Place)
  • Ma Bell’s (Admiral, also on Yale across from LaFortune)
  • Borden’s Good Food (Multiple Locations)
  • The Chuck Wagon (11th Street)
  • Avalon Steakhouse (6205 New Sapulpa Road)
  • Eddy’s Steakhouse (31st and Harvard)
  • Razor Clam (Memorial, maybe around 31st?)
  • Argentina Steak House
  • St. Michael’s Alley (31st and Harvard)
  • My Pi Pizza (5936 S Lewis)
  • Shotgun Sam’s
  • Casa Bonita (21st and Sheridan)
  • Shakey’s Pizza (3647 S Peoria)
  • Italian Inn 1604 S. Main (also London Square)
  • Pagoda (across from Camelot)
  • Ming Palace (Across from Big Splash, Mayo Meadow)
  • Impressions (15th and Lewis)
  • Molly Murphy’s
  • Crystal’s Pizza

If there are sites within city limits that I missed & they hold a special place in your heart, send that information along too!  I’ll include as many as I can.

You can also fill out a survey HERE that helps me collect information.

Thank you SO MUCH!  This is Tulsa’s story and it will only be richer with your stories.  I can’t wait to get this together and share it with the world.

Send information to: losttulsarestaurants@cloudlesslens.com

About rhysfunk

Rhys Martin was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1981. In 2009, he sold everything he owned and left the country, living out of a backpack for ten months. He discovered a passion for photography while traveling throughout Southeast Asia and Europe. After returning home, he looked at his home town and Oklahoma heritage with fresh eyes. When he began to explore his home state, Rhys turned his attention to historic Route 66. As he became familiar with the iconic highway, he began to truly appreciate Oklahoma’s place along the Mother Road. He has traveled all 2,400 miles of Route 66, from Chicago to Los Angeles. He has also driven many miles on rural Oklahoma highways to explore the fading Main Streets of our small towns. Rhys has a desire to find and share the unique qualities of the Sooner State with the rest of the world. Cloudless Lens Photography has been featured in several publications including This Land, Route 66 Magazine, Nimrod Journal, Inbound Asia Magazine, The Oklahoman, and the Tulsa World. Rhys loves to connect with people and share his experiences; ask him about enjoyable day trips from Tulsa, locations along Route 66, and good diners or burger joints along the way.
This entry was posted in Oklahoma, Tulsa, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Lost Tulsa Restaurants – Help Needed

1. Kim mauck says:

Saratoga on 11th street across from the police station! They had the biggest and best biscuits.

2. Elmo’s Grill 15th/Yale
    Arthur Treacher’s Fish and Chips
    Little Lanny’s Submsrine Ssndwiches
    Pizza Inn
    Zeider Zee 27th/Memorial

3. Michael Sanditen says:

villa venice was tops

4. gplady says:

Creech’s was a nice family restaurant on east 11th St, we often went there for a nice family dinner. There were two such restaurants in that area. Therewas a nice restaurant in the place called Western Village (SE corner of Admiral & Garnett – a fascinating old west style town with shops, a motel, golf course and landing strip ). I don’t remember the name of the restaurant, we didn’t go often. (Or, I didn’t! ) I remember it being dimly lit, candles on the tables and fancy napkins. Maybe someone else will recall, but you should do a wholesection on Western Village.
    My favorite restaurant, though, was the Golden Drumstick. I loved the blue glass windows.
    For a good hamburger, we liked Boots Drive-in near 26th & Sheridan, and Norman Angel’s at Admiral & Memorial – it was like the one in Happy Days. But my favorite place for a hamburger was a little place out east on 11th St, near the road to Harvey Young Airport (known as Hoover Street then). It was named The Friendly Cafe, but my mom called it the Greasy Spoon. I didn’t get it, but I sure liked their big burgers – and just 25c with fries.

5. Sean says:

Kodiak at Woodland Hills Mall. First place I ever went to that had alligator as an appetizer.

6. Joe’s Grill, 49th Place & Peoria (taken down to build the Camelot Inn).
    Borden’s Cafeteria, 51st and Peoria in Brook Plaza Shopping Center.
    The Louisiane, 118 E. 18th St.
    Pennington’s Drive-In, Admiral and Harvard.
    Shadow Mountain Inn, 61st and Sheridan.

7. Cole Haney says:

Ray’s, at 15th and Peoria, behind where the McDonald’s was built, across 15th from Crosstown Grill, was a classic small diner. It had 8 seats, if I recall correctly. Our parents took us there on payday nights in the 1960s. We walked up from our house at 14th and Owasso. We stood and waited for another diner to finish so we could sit at a stool. The beef stew was wonderful, as were their dinner rolls they baked every morning at 5. Many men still wore hats and hung them on the coat rack.

8. Joe Cervantez says:

Bells, on 3rd street downtown.
    Savoy downtown